Sierra introduces Auto Unlock with macOS, which allows you to automatically unlock Mac computers using smart watches.
What devices does it work on? + preset
Function requires Mac (mid 2013.in. or newer) running macOS Sierra and Apple Watch with watchOS 3 or later installed. Check function support «Auto Unlock» Mac computer as follows:
- Hold and hold the key ⌥Option (Alt) on keyboard.
- Click the Apple menu and go to «System Information».
- In the sidebar, select the section «Wi-Fi» and find the line on the right «Auto Unlock: Supported by».
Mac and Apple Watch must be tied to the same Apple ID (iCloud). To check it out:
On Mac, open the application «System settings» and go to iCloud.
On iPhone, open the Watch app, and go along the path «The main» → Apple ID.
Besides, need to activate (if you have not done it before) two-factor authentication mode for custom Apple ID (does not work in all countries). To set up two-factor authentication:
- On iPhone with iOS 10.3 and above open the application «Settings» and go to the Apple ID section (at the very top). On other versions of iOS: Settings → iCloud and click on Apple ID (E-mail).
- Click «password and safety».
- In section «Two-factor authentication» click on the enable button.
On a Mac
- Go to the Apple menu → «System settings» → Apple ID.
- In the menu on the right, select the section «password and safety».
- Turn on two-factor authentication, if it is off.
How to Set Up Auto Unlock Mac with Apple Watch
To set up automatic Mac unlocking with Apple Watch, do the following:
1. On Mac, turn on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
2. Design and activate your Apple Watch password code, also enable the function «Wrist Recognition». To do this, open the Watch application on the iPhone and go to the section «Password code».
The password code can be set directly on the Apple Watch (Settings → The code → Include code).
3. On Mac, go to System Preferences → Protection and safety → The main.
4. Check the box next to «Use Apple Watch to unlock the app and your Mac».
When, if two-factor authentication mode has not been configured before, the system will offer to do it now.
If no passwords have been activated and the function is not enabled «Wrist Recognition», macOS will also ask you to do this.
5. Enter password for Mac. After entering the password successfully, a special message will be displayed on the screen.
6. Lock Mac, put the Apple Watch on your hand, then activate the password entry screen on Mac (wake up computer).
7. The Unlock with Apple Watch message appears on the macOS Home screen. After a second, you will be taken to the desktop of your computer.
If after this setting you don’t have an Apple Watch on your hand, will have to enter a password to enter manually.